Dad – Scared and confused
We just had our 20 week ultrasound and the technician has set us up for further testing to be done on suspicion of Spina Bifida in our little girl. I’ve done as much reading and asked as many questions as I can but came across this board and figured i’d say hello and see if anyone might have had similar diagnosis or situation as us and could offer some insight (I realize that pretty much every case of SB is different however).
– We had our 13 week US and everything came back beautifully, no risk for any issues whatsoever
On our 20 week though, the technician remarked on the following;
– Borderline lemon and banana shapes, not pronounced at all
– ventricles are 9mm and 10mm which they say are borderline as well
– No indiciation of any lesions or bubbles whatsoever on the spine, spent 4+ hours doing ultrasounds including 4D ultrasound and only noticed a very small dimple on one of the lower sacral vert.
– Full range of movement of arms/legs (she kicks/punches my wife like crazy), crossing legs, wiggling feet etc…
– Technician remarked that the skeletal, cardiac and extremities (no indication of club feet at all) all appear perfectly normal
I’ve read papers that with the lemon and banana signs are pretty close to 100% accurate diagnosis of some form of SB, but I guess part of us are just grasping at what could be happening with all of the other tells not detectable or borderline. Can a lesion or bubble suddenly develop at 24 weeks or sometime later?
Anyone have similar situations and if so what was the outcome? Not knowing is a nightmare.
Thanks in advance.