Raising a Sensory Smart Child
For children with sensory difficulties-those who struggle to process everyday sensations and exhibit unusual behaviors such as avoiding or seeking out touch, movement, sounds, and sights-this groundbreaking book is an invaluable resource. Sensory integration dysfunction, also known as sensory processing disorder, affects all kinds of children-from those with developmental delays, attention problems, or autism spectrum disorders, to those without any other issues. Coauthored by a pediatric occupational therapist and a parent of a child with sensory issues, this updated and expanded edition of Raising a Sensory Smart Child is comprehensive and more helpful than ever.
* How the senses actually work and integrate with each other
* How and where to get the very best professional help
* “Sensory diet” activities that meet your child’s needs–including new tips and ideas for kids, teens, adults, and families
* Practical solutions for daily challenges-from brushing teeth to getting dressed to picky eating to family gatherings
* Using “sensory smarts” to help children with developmental delays, learning, and attention problems
* The special challenges of helping children with autism and sensory issues
* Ways to advocate for your child at school and make schools “sensory smart”
* How to empower your child and teen in the world
* Complementary therapies, resources, and helpful web sites
In all, the most comprehensive guide to sensory processing challenges is now more detailed and useful than ever. Loved and celebrated by parents, teachers, therapists, doctors and others, the new edition of Raising a Sensory Smart Child is a must-have volume for anyone who cares about a child with sensory issues.
***WINNER of the NAPPA GOLD AWARD and iPARENTING MEDIA AWARD***